Saturday, January 15, 2011

Stuck in a Snowbank, Knitting

Early this morning I headed out to Sisu Designs' winter knitting retreat. It was a gorgeous day for a drive up the Echo, and I was happy as a clam with my travel mug full of French Roast and my knitting bag on the passenger's seat. Also, I was also eager to get to the Morning Glory Center in time for "show and tell". So, as you can imagine, I was practically giddy when I saw this sign:


In fact I was so giddy that I slid right past the turn and into the snowbank:


What else could I do but grab my and knitting bag and start trekking the rest of the way to Pine Point? Luckily I was smart enough to wear my mukluks this morning.

I did make it in time for show and tell, and boy - was I glad I did. There were so many amazing projects - some of the knitters at these retreats are truly masters! One project I know I want to try is this fiddlehead mitten pattern from Hello Knitting:


When show and tell was over, Anna got on the radio and contacted the camp caretaker. He said that if I put the keys in the van, he would come and move it for me. Now, that's what I call service.

Since I didn't have to worry about the van anymore, it was time for me to head down to my massage at the Northern Lights Cabin:


I was a little early for my appointment, so I sat in the living room with my knitting while I waited for Bob.


After my incredibly fantastic massage and a little lunch, it was time for me to head back home. I hopped in my van and started back to the main road. I didn't make it very far, however, before I was stuck.

I could NOT get up the hill. I tried backing down and going back up several times. I even took a hit of the Rescue Remedy I carry in my bag.

Eventually I had to get out, hike back to the Morning Glory Center, and get on the radio myself (by this time Anna had gone out skiing). The caretaker arrived before long, and cheerfully drove the van up the hill for me. Since this was the second time he had rescued me in one day, he even threw in a few winter driving tips. Like I said: full service.

Usually Sisu's retreats are referred to as "Lost in the Woods" Knitting Retreats. But for me, this particular retreat is going to be remembered as the "Stuck in a Snowbank" Retreat. Before I go back out tomorrow, I am putting chains on my tires.

6 comments:

StefandLin said...

wOW! i'M SO IMPRESSED WITH YOUR PERSISTENCE at getting to the retreat AND enjoying yourself in the process...also at letting yourself be helped. GOOD JOB. So glad you made it and had such a good time.
LOVE, Stef

skrapyram said...

Thanks, Stef - you're the best.

Melissa Placzek said...

Fantastic! Sounds like a fun time even with the small van mishap... How could anyone concentrate with a sign like that? ;)

Let me know how you like knitting the Fiddlehead mittens. They're beautiful!

Christina Claassen said...

Wow Mary, looks like you had a great time, even with all that snow! Those mittens really are awesome. You should definitely make some.

And I'm still working at the bookstore, but I've been the interim events coordinator the past few months while the coordinator is on a leave of absence. I've had to learn the job "crash-course" style. BIG job...I'm counting down until she comes back full time in the spring!!!

twinsetellen said...

Well, this one will certainly be memorable! Those mitts are gorgeous - what great color choices.

cakmn said...

S N O W   T I R E S   :)

Sisu Designs is particularly partial to Blizzak snow tires by Bridgestone, although there are other good ones available. It's almost like being upgraded to four wheel drive.

Glad you made it and had a great time! Susan is always happy to see you. :)