Friday, December 2, 2011

Jack and the Mummy

Earlier this year, we had the chance to take Jack to see the King Tut exhibit at the Science Museum of Minnesota (thanks Kelly!).  Ever since then, we've read a lot of books about ancient Egypt and talked a lot about mummies.   Many times throughout all of this, I've mentioned to Jack that they have a mummy at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts (MIA), the museum where Scott and I used to work.  Just as I had hoped, my frequent mention of this mummy made Jack want to go and see it.  On our recent trip, we finally had a chance to do just that.

At the King Tut exhibit, there had been a lot of dramatic lighting and music.  It was just mysterious enough to make Jack a little bit scared.  That memory resulted in him working up quite a frenzy by the time we arrived at the MIA. In fact, he ended up being too scared to go look at the mummy!  After walking through almost every other gallery in the museum, I finally resorted to bribery: I told Jack that there was nothing to be scared of and that if he would just trust me, we would go play with the computers in the museum's family center as soon as we were done seeing the mummy.  (Jack has been to the MIA several times before and loves the family center.)



The bribe worked and we finally went to visit the mummy, Lady Teshat. Jack discovered that I was right: there was nothing to be scared of.  That being said, we only stayed in that gallery long enough to have a quick photo taken.  After that, we headed straight for the computers in the family center - I guess once they had been mentioned their pull was just too strong!

If you ever have the chance, I highly recommend a visit to The Minneapolis Institute of Arts!  It's lots of fun and general admission to the museum is FREE.  Plus, it's not scary at all.  I promise!

No comments: