Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Best Tomato Soup Scott has Ever Had


One of the many things I love about fall is soup, especially homemade soup.

Since we have scored an amazing amount of tomatoes this year, we decided to try a recipe for cream of tomato soup that came in our newsletter from Chelsea Morning Farm. Scott declared it the best tomato soup he's ever had, and even Jack - who is not a big soup fan - said it was delicious.

The soup was so good that I thought I would share the recipe here. I usually think of tomato soup as being flavored with basil, but part of what sets this one apart is the use of cloves - yummy!

Cream of Tomato Soup

4 cups chopped tomatoes
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves
pepper and 1 tsp salt
1 tsp brown sugar
3 springs parsley
3 T butter
3 T flour
1 cup half-and-half
1-1/2 c broth (chicken or veggie)

Simmer tomatoes, whole cloves, ground pepper, salt and parsley together for 1 minutes. Remove from heat and blend until course. Set aside. In a separate pan, melt butter and add flour. Stir until golden. Our in broth and stir until thickened. Add tomato mixture and simmer 5 minutes. Cool slightly before adding cream. Heat slightly and serve. (To freeze, skip the cream and add later when thawed.)

Photo note: the little tomatoes shown here are some of the many we've received in our CSA shipments lately. The veggies in the basket are some that Jack helped to grow in his garden at daycare. I know it's not the best photo . . .

Addendum 10/6 I wanted to make this soup again, but I had lost my copy of the recipe and had to use a print out of this blog post. That's when I realized - something's not quite right with the directions as written above. I had a boat load of tomatoes though, so I went with it, using a little common sense. I am happy to report that the soup turned out just fine. Don't let my typographical errors stop you - this is good soup!

No comments: