Friday, October 1, 2010

And now, "skraps". Let's start with a little Rumi.

One item on my list of 39 things is to spend time each week with my idea book.

That's all fine and dandy, but just what is my idea book? Well, my idea book is a project that I started about 5 years ago, during what I sometimes refer to as my "quarter life crises". I know - if you do the math - I was being pretty optimistic there. But, anyway . . .

Around that time, things in my life were a little rough. In an effort to find my way out of a deep, dark hole, I started to look for inspiration in the world around me - namely in magazines and books. When I found a picture that spoke to me, I would tear it out of the magazine and stash it in a box. If I found a quote or poem that seemed to be telling me what I needed to hear, I copied it down and put that in the box, too. Every once in a while I would spend some time with these ideas - sorting through my collection and then cutting and pasting the little scraps into a sketch book.

What I ended up with was a "self-help" book, tailor-made just for me. And it really did seem to help. Even now, when I arrange new pages in the book, I feel energized and inspired. And sitting down with my book and a quiet cup of coffee is the perfect way for me to start the day. It's an activity that leaves me feeling centered and aware of who I am.

Last weekend, while I was at the knitting retreat, I encountered a woman I had met at a previous retreat. This knitter said she remembered me reading from my idea book (at Susan's request) and had been inspired to start a similar project of her own. You can probably just imagine how hearing that made my day!

So . . . I've decided to periodically share selections from my idea book here on my skrapyram blog. Because I am unabashedly corny, I am going to call these posts "skraps" (scraps of inspiration/skrapyram - see?) Hopefully, this will encourage me to make time for looking through the book - satisfying #28 on my list of 39 things. And, who knows? Maybe someone else will discover a new idea that will inspire them, too.

To kick things off, I thought I'd start with a little Rumi - enjoy!

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.
Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

1 comment:

Melissa Placzek said...

Rumi is a favorite poet of mine. "Every object, every being is a jar full of delight. Be a connoisseur." ~Rumi