Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Cannon River Trout Lily SNA

Over Easter weekend, we were able to visit some old friends: the ephemeral spring wildflowers of Southern MN.


We have always loved searching for the tiny, fragile beauties that can be found for a short time each spring, as long as you know where to look.   (They pop up in floodplains, where they soak up as much sun as they can before the trees start to leaf out.)


Scott is great at finding quiet pockets of nature where we can hike all by ourselves.  This time we visited Cannon River Trout Lily Scientific and Natural Area.  I am so thankful that areas like this are being preserved.  If you are not familiar with SNA's, you can learn more about them here


Along with trout lilies, we found rue anemone and bloodroot on our two-hour hike.  Hooray for Scott, who is also a darn good photographer!

2 comments:

Melissa Placzek said...

Hey Mary! Thanks for letting me know what these are called! I snapped a photo of this flower the day we hiked the Cannon Valley trail (I think it was last week!) You can see it on my date night post. My husband is a professional photographer and is teaching me the ways of the Nikon. What a cool adventure.

Was thinking about you today as I made my bagels (Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day.) Have you gotten around to the Bialys yet?

skrapyram said...

No Bialys yet - I am on a biscotti kick at the moment. YUM.