Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Exhausted and Achy

Well, we are in! We have spent four nights at the Homestead. I can't believe it has been that long - the whole thing is just a blur. I do know one thing, though: I am exhausted and my entire body aches. (That has nothing to do with being 39, it is just from moving boxes and furniture around. Almost anyone would be exhausted and achy!)

We are all still getting adjusted to the move, especially with the fact that we are all living in one one room. The upstairs is just full of boxes and extra furniture, with only paths to walk through. Jack will occasionally say he wants to go back to the old house, but on the whole he seems to be enjoying the new place. I think he particularly likes the fact that he can watch TV from the bed, or just walk right outside to play (or pee!).

There have been a couple of SNAFU's that have made the transition a little less than smooth. For one thing, the fridge that was supposed to arrive on Friday will not delivered until Wednesday. Luckily, we were able to borrow a good sized cooler from a friend, but life will be easier with the real thing. The other thing is that, for some reason, the phone company can't figure out how to get a line to the new place, so we don't have phone or internet. Again, we are lucky because we have cell phones and the library has internet access.

Oh - I almost forgot! On moving day, Uma took off and was gone for over 12 hours. I was sick to my stomach all day, sure that this time we had lost her. When I finally found her at 9 pm, I discovered that she had spent the entire day - of her own free will - at someone else's house in the country. Not far from the Homestead, and she wasn't tied up or locked inside their house, and they weren't feeding her hot dogs or anything special - she just wanted to hang out with them. That night I was so upset and stressed out that I actually called Jessie (my niece and Uma's previous human) to see if she would take the dog back. We agreed to sleep on it, and of course by the morning I had calmed down and changed my mind, so Uma is still with us. Until the next time she runs off, of course.

In case anyone has lost count, this was our ninth move in ten years. Please - oh, please - let this be the last one!!!

No comments: